The Folklore Museum of Larissa was founded in 1974 as "Folklore Society" by a team of Larissa with the pioneers George and Lena Gourgioti. Originally housed in the Town Hall and later in rented space downtown.
With emphasis on concentration, study and promotion of modern culture tangible and intangible evidence in Larissa and Thessaly, soon became one of the most important museums of the Greek region and the country.
The Museum's collections now numbering a total of over 20,000 objects dating from the 15th to the mid 20th century.
Items include traditional and urban life, agricultural farming and livestock, pottery, secular and ecclesiastical silversmith, copper art, weaving, costumes, stamped, embroidery, wood carvings, prints and artworks and rich historical and photographic archive.
Through exhibitions permanent and temporary, educational and other scientific activities, the Museum over the years diffuses in modern Greek and international community the newest culture of Thessaly.
The building which houses the museum, is the work of the Ministry of Culture integrated in ROP Region of Thessaly.
The recapitulation of the material reflects the modern museological concepts to highlight the cultural identity of Larissa and the wider region (19th - first half 20th century). Specifically, they displayed aspects of rural and urban culture in Thessaly, before and after the annexation of the Greek state (1881).
The permanent exhibition on three levels. Currently only operate the first and second floor of the building and part of the basement and soon expected to become operational and the other exhibition spaces.
The building and the exhibition of the Museum is accessible to people with disabilities and wheelchairs (entrance ramp, lift, disabled toilet).
After Programmatic Agreement signed, the Museum now belongs to the Municipality of Larissa, in particular in the Mayoralty of Culture and Science.
Recently resumed its educational and scientific activities, making reference to the cultural activity of the place, a bridge to the local community and attraction for native and foreign visitors.